Friday, November 1, 2013

A PC Gamer who would consider getting a PS4

I'm sure you've all heard the news as of late regarding the ongoing console war between the Xbox One and the PS4. It's no surprise that Sony's console is smashing Microsoft's in regards to just raw horsepower. Call of Duty: Ghosts will be playable at 720P at 60FPS on the Xbox Bone, while the same title for the PS4 will do 1080P also at 60FPS. It's not really a big surprise, but a rather funny and almost ironic twist that the more favored console/platform for Acitivision's huge AAA title will look less "awesome" on their more favored platform. Or at least I would like to think that Activision likes Microsoft/Xbox a ton more seeing as for the past several years now they've given seemingly exclusive rights at least ahead of time for DLC's and other things. The COD franchise imo has almost been analogous to the Xbox, and while it exists in the Playstation and PC platforms, it's never quite as prevalent or dominating of a title to platform synergistical relationship.

But back to the question, why would I bother even getting a PS4? I am a PC Gamer and have been for countless years now. There's really no simple answer. I've been playing PC games at 1080P now for awhile, and have been accustomed to the traditional Keyboard+Mouse control scheme that is around for your normal PC games. I don't have a joystick, or a racing wheel, or any other type of peripheral for games that may require flying an aircraft or anything like that. Though I do think they have their uses, I've always stuck to the most basic of basics in KB+Mouse even if it means flying a copter or jet in Battlefield is gonna be tougher or less intuitive. But I'm still ducking the question. Well I'll just answer it straight out. Why wouldn't I consider a PS4? Simply put, 4K gaming for PC may rise to be worth investing some high end hardware as well as a monitor/TV for usage of it in the future, but for now, it's not exactly mandatory, 1080P is a standard, and a console that can sport 1080P at 60frames average (or max) for most games wouldn't be that much of an issue. I would have to get used to the controller again, but it's not my first time. I've had a PS2 in the past as well as a PS3 and it may take a little bit of familiarization to reacquaint myself with it. To be honest, even when I got GTA 4 off of a Steam sale around 2 years ago and played it for the first time in my PC. It felt very foreign to be playing it on a KB+Mouse. I originally bought the game on my PS3, and eventually worked around my way to using my PS3 controller to control my character in GTA 4. In regards to GTA 5 whenever that comes around to PC, I probably may attempt the same thing.

The way I see it in the end. The PS4 is at least worth a look at as a gamer whether or not you love your PC to death. Maybe my reasons seem rather weak and flawed, but I'm still heavily favoring on at least considering getting one next year. It may end up having a weaker launch line up than the Xbox One, but the horsepower of the PS4 at least in the long run will make Microsoft really work hard on their API's and more closely into developer relationships to realize that despite the similar hardware and architectures both the PS4 and Xbox One present, Sony clearly has a massive lead here. It's not good when one of Xbox One's lead titles will not fully take advantage of 1080P at 60 Frames Per Sec out the game. If it's gonna be like that now? How do you think it will look 3-4 years down the line when the Xbox One has matured? And constant developments in game engines will be out?

No comments:

Post a Comment